Katie’s pumpkin ginger soup would be a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving this year. It’s unique, delicious, healthy, and offers easy substitutions for those with special dietary restrictions. Interested in learning more great recipes or changing up your eating habits? Meet with one of Kootenai’s registered dietitians.
This recipe has been tastefully tweaked to a healthier rendition of its original version at dashrecipes.com. I substituted canola oil for butter, whole wheat flour for all-purpose, and fat free half-and-half for regular. For a gluten-free diet, simply substituting the whole wheat flour for a gluten-free flour and purchasing a gluten free low-sodium chicken soup broth should do the trick. For your guests that follow a vegetarian diet, you can substitute low-sodium vegetable broth for the low-sodium chicken broth. For your guests following a vegan diet you can substitute low-sodium vegetable broth for the low-sodium chicken broth and coconut milk for the fat free half-and-half. Substituting coconut milk for the fat free half-and-half will also help tailor to those with a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fat free half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a blender, puree pumpkin with ¾ cup broth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Turn heat to low. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half. Add ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Increase heat to medium and cook, still stirring, for 4 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add pumpkin puree and remaining broth. Cook until hot. Taste; add extra ginger, if desired. Top with parsley.
Nutrition with substitutions:
130 Calories; 4g Fat (trace saturated); 5g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 392 mg Sodium; 245 mg Potassium