Year-Round Hospital Volunteers
Kootenai Health has one of the strongest hospital volunteer programs in the Northwest, consisting of the Kootenai Health Auxiliary for adult volunteers, the Kootenai Health Nightingales for retired nurses and the Kootenai Health teen volunteer program.
These volunteers provide a host of services throughout the year, ranging from escort and errand to hospitality and family services. In recent years, they have annually donated more than 35,000 hours in service of the health of the local community.
To learn more about these programs, contact the director of Kootenai Health’s Volunteer Services at (208) 625-4645.
- Cancer Center First Floor and Post Falls Cancer Center Volunteer:
Volunteer picks up mail from main hospital and delivers to cancer center, runs general errands for personnel, prepares coffee, greets patients and families
- Escort and Errand Volunteer
Answers telephone, transports patients, runs general errands upon request.
- Delivery Services Volunteer
Delivers personal mail, emails, flowers and gifts to patients of Kootenai Health
- Main Gift Shop Volunteer
Assists customers with purchases, handles transactions, stocks selves, handles flower orders, cards and baby gifts
- Way-Finding Support Volunteer
Works with registration to offer patient transport, gives directions, and walks patients, family members and visitors to their desired locations throughout the hospital.
Special Events Volunteers
Just as important as long-term volunteers are those hospital supporters who donate their time during annual hospital events which raise funds for programs and services the medical center might not otherwise provide.
The Kootenai Health Foundation holds two special events each year, the Kootenai Health Foundation Golf Tournament in May and the Festival of Trees in November. Various volunteer opportunities are available at both events and often throughout the year.
To learn more about volunteering for special events, call the Foundation at (208) 625-4438.
Car Seat Technician
We’re looking for people to join our group of dedicated volunteers who care deeply about kids and want to make sure they are safe on every car ride. Certified child passenger safety technicians use their knowledge and expertise to check child safety seats, install car seats, and educate parents and caregivers. All car seat techs must take and pass the CPS Certification Course. Kootenai Health will pay for your training and future continuing education requirements.
Volunteer Nurses can:
- Assist with daily hygiene
- Assist with activities of daily living (ADLs) and ambulation
- Feed patients and pass trays
- Assist with admissions and discharge
- Care for individuals requiring one-to-one observation (lonely and end of life)
- Make a difference in the lives of patients
- Active or emeritus RN license
- Two to four hours per week
- Caring heart
For information on becoming a Volunteer Nurse, please contact volunteer services at (208) 625-4645.
Interested in Volunteering?
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Kootenai Health. Before returning your application, please read the information below.
We are very fortunate to have many individuals interested in volunteering at Kootenai —sometimes more than we have service openings for. The volunteer role is extremely important at Kootenai, as everyone representing our organization has an impact on our patients and their experience with us. A few items to keep in mind:
- Volunteering is not job shadowing.
- We do not offer internships through our volunteer program.
- We cannot create a position based on personal or professional goals. We have specific volunteer roles that enhance the services we provide.
- Before applying, please ask yourself, “Am I applying because I have a sincere drive to help?” and “Can I consistently commit to one shift every week?”
When we have an opening, we will call you for an interview. In the meantime, we will keep your application on file for possible future positions. The majority of our volunteer needs are Monday through Friday during normal work hours.