Kootenai Health welcomes students from a variety of health professions. The process outlined below was developed for incoming students to provide real-life experiences that advance their educational goals and fulfill program requirements.
For the vast majority of students at Kootenai, participating in a clinical experience involves three key steps:
- Securing a contractual agreement between the educational program and Kootenai Health
- Establishing eligibility to participate in a clinical experience
- Securing placement in the department
After completing the process for their program of interest, students must adhere to the following guidelines while on campus at Kootenai Health:
- Students must prominently display a Kootenai Health I.D. badge at all times
- In office settings, the dress code for students is business casual, for clinical settings, scrubs and closed-toe shoes are appropriate
- Students will comply with Kootenai Health policy while exercising access privileges granted to them during their clinical experience (as stated and agreed to in the Student Packet)
Requesting Placement and Student Eligibility
Faculty members are responsible for student placement in a specific unit or department. We require a faculty contact at a school to accommodate any student request.
- Placement requests for institutions with an existing academic affiliation with Kootenai should be made by program faculty at least eight weeks in advance of the student start date.
- Institutions wishing to begin a new student affiliation with Kootenai should contact Kootenai Health Student Services department at email@example.com.
The student’s faculty contact must complete the Student Placement Eligibility form. Requests can be made up to six months in advance and the form can accommodate multiple requests. This request allows Kootenai to secure Pyxis and Kootenai network access, as well as login and password information for each student.
After a request is submitted, our Student Services department works with unit leaders for student placement request approval. Once approved, the faculty member who submitted the request will receive a confirmation email.
A current affiliation agreement must be on file with Kootenai before a student can receive a placement. This agreement outlines the parameters of the clinical experience, expected outcomes, as well as the individual responsibilities of each party.
To confirm or request an affiliation agreement with Kootenai Health, contact Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (208) 625-6078.
Kootenai Health reserves the right to audit student records on file at the institution at any time during the next three years. If you would like to read through the details of the affiliation agreement we have on file with your program, please call the Student Services department at (208) 625-6078.
Review Process for Student Eligibility
After the Student Eligibility Placement Form is approved by department leadership, the following steps will begin the student’s on-boarding process:
- Program faculty will need to contact Student Services to obtain access the password protected documents for student to read and complete.
- Student Services will contact program faculty with instructions for students to read and complete the Student Packet: For Your Information and the complete:
- Upon completion of the student application and packet, Student Services will send a confirmation email to the program faculty that the student is “Cleared for Badging”
Instructions will be provided at this time for the badging process
- Once a student receives a Kootenai Health I.D. badge, they have completed the on-boarding process and are approved to begin their educational experience
Kootenai Health’s Behavioral Health Placements
Important: Students placed in Kootenai Health’s Adult and Youth Acute Behavioral Health departments, chemical Dependency, Child of Adult Day Care Centers, or the Crisis Center must complete an Idaho Health and Welfare fingerprinted criminal background check. Idaho requires that anyone (including students) spending time with these at risk patient populations complete this requirement prior to beginning time at these facilities. This process takes 4-5 weeks for the state of Idaho to process. Get started by reading the Student Fingerprinting instructions.
Visit the Student Placement Eligibility page to fill out the placement form and begin the process.
Questions or Concerns?
Contact Student Services by email or at (208) 625-6078.
For more information about requirements for all students at Kootenai Health, visit Student Services.