- Oncology - Medical
Dr. Allen is originally from northern California. He graduated from Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA, and then attended Albany Medical College in Albany, NY, graduating in 2002. He completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at Albany Medical Center Hospital. In 2005, he started fellowship training in Hematology/Oncology at the University of Tennessee Cancer Institute (UTCI) in Memphis, TN. During his fellowship, he completed additional training in the conduct of clinical research.
Following his fellowship, he transitioned to a faculty position at the University of Tennessee. Dr. Allen served as the Associate Director for Clinical Research and was an assistant director of the UTCI fellowship program. He remained heavily involved in clinical research, authoring several publications and serving as the national Principal Investigator for a cooperative group clinical trial in patients with small-cell lung cancer.
In 2011, Dr. Allen and his family moved back to northern California where he helped start the oncology program at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Eureka, CA. Dr. Allen joined the staff at Kootenai Health in 2015 and continues his involvement with clinical research, serving as one of the Principal Investigators of the Montana Cancer Consortium NCORP, a division of the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program.
Dr. Allen is committed to finding the right treatment for every patient. In his spare time, Dr. Allen and his family enjoy hiking, biking, and taking advantage of the beautiful outdoor spaces which surround us in northern Idaho.
Societies and Positions Held
National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, Member of the Breast Care Team
Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
Member, American Society of Hematology (ASH)
Co-Principal Investigator, Montana Cancer Consortium NCORP
Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany, NY
Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany, NY
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
American Board of Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology and Hematology
Kootenai Clinic Cancer Services - Coeur d'Alene
Kootenai Clinic Cancer Services - Sandpoint
- Allen J, Jahanzeb M. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Stage III NSCLC. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 6(3):285-93, 2008.
- Allen J, Jahanzeb M. Extensive Stage SCLC: Evolution of Systemic Therapy and Future Directions. Clin Lung Cancer 9(5):262-70, 2008.
- Allen J, Stewart CF. Personalized therapy for cancer: has pharmacogenetics delivered? Community Oncology 6(3):126-131, 134, 2009.
- Osarogiagbon RU, Allen JW, Farooq A, Berry A, Spencer D, O’Brien, T. Outcome of surgical resection for pathologic N0 and Nx non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 5(2):191-6, 2010.
- McKibbin T, Zhao W, Tagen M, Daw NC, Furman WL, McGregor LM, Geyer JR, Allen JW, Stewart CF. Epidermal growth factor receptor polymorphisms and risk for toxicity in pediatric patients treated with gefitinib. Eur J Cancer 46(11):2045-51, 2010.
- Allen JW, Farooq A, O’Brien TF, Osarogiagbon RU. Quality of surgical resection for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in a US metropolitan area. Cancer 117(1):134-42, 2011.
- Osarogiagbon RU, Allen JW, Farooq A, Berry A, O’Brien T. Pathologic lymph node staging practice and stage-predicted survival after resection of lung cancer. Ann Thor Surg 91(5):1486-92, 2011.
- Osarogiagbon RU, Allen JW, Farooq A, Wu JT. Objective review of mediastinal lymph node examination in a lung cancer resection cohort. J Thorac Oncol 7(2):390-6, 2012.
- Allen JW, Moon J, Redman M, Gadgeel SM, Kelly K, Mack PC, Saba HM, Mohamed MK, Jahanzeb M, Gandara DR. Southwest Oncology Group S0802: A randomized, phase II Trial of weekly topotecan with and without ziv-aflibercept in patients with platinum-treated small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 32(23):2463-70, 2014. Epub 2014 Jul 7.
- Whitsett TG, Fortin Ensign SP, Dhruv HD, Inge LJ, Kurywchak P, Wolf KK, LoBello J, Kingsley CB, Allen JW, Weiss GJ, Tran NL. FN14 expression correlates with MET in NSCLC and promotes MET-driven cell invasion. Clin Exp Metastasis 31(6):613-23, 2014.
- Foster LM, Mahoney ME, Harmon MW, Allen JW, Luh JY. Radiation recall reaction with letrozole therapy in breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer 14(3):e95-7, 2014.