We know the stressors you face every day can sometimes be overwhelming. Focusing on ones’ mental, physical and emotional health is a key strategy in helping navigate difficult times. You are not alone. Please take advantage of not only the resources listed further down this page, but confidential, one-on-one counseling sessions with licensed psychologists who specialize in providing counseling services to health care professionals. Please select the respective buttons below to see options available to Kootenai Clinic physicians and APPs and independent medical staff.
- Completely confidential
- Sessions can be work-related or for personal reasons; no restrictions
- Please also reference the rack cards located in the physicians’ lounge for more information.
3 Good Things
Three Good Things is the practice of highlighting the positive in your life and how that translates into positive psychology. Kootenai Health is spearheading a 3 Good Things initiative – please look for this online resource for some helpful tips!
PeerRxMed™: No One Cares Alone
PeerRxMed™ is a free, peer-supported program designed to help physicians and others on the care team move toward thriving both personally and professionally.
Apps, Books and Websites Aimed at Physician and APP Well-Being
Reading and Resources
- Studer Well Being Handbook and Toolkit
- The Schwartz Center: Resources for Health Care Professionals Coping with the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Program Books: Resilient Option
- Book: The Psychology of Pandemics: Preparing for the Next Global Outbreak of Infectious Disease, Steven Taylor, Ph.D., R.Psych.
- American Medical Association (AMA): Mental Health Resources for Physicians During COVID-19
- American Psychiatric Association (APA): Well-being Resources for Physicians
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Health Care Professionals Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Healthcare Personnel and First Responders: How to Cope with Stress and Build Resilience During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Mental Health America (MHA): The Mental Health of Health Care workers in COVID-19
The Power of Meditation and Mindfulness
In today’s busy world, useful smartphone apps provide easy access to many resources and tools. Kootenai Health has partnered with companies, Unmind and Headspace, to offer expanded versions of their digital mindfulness resources. All employees and Kootenai Clinic physicians and APPs can access them through the Virgin Pulse app accessible on your smartphone, the Kloud and Kloudlite.
Doing things you love outside of work is an important avenue to an improved sense of well-being. As an example, Kootenai Health encourages participation in our annual photo contest. These photos reflect the beauty captured in natural spaces, while enjoying the outdoors.
Tolli Willhite, Kootenai Clinic Outreach Coordinator
Magnolia in Bloom
Katrina Walker, Kootenai Health Graphic Designer
Barbara Kalisch, spouse of Kootenai Health employee
Need More Resources?
Please visit Kootenai Health’s Resources for Stressful Events page to read further about:
- The Resilience in Stressful Events (RISE) program
- Sample debriefing videos
- Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) intervention protocol developed specifically for dealing with traumatic events