Your journey with cancer doesn’t end when treatment is complete. More people are surviving cancer than ever before – and many have questions or concerns about how to take an active role in their health and well-being.
Your first step is your survivorship appointment.
Why should I schedule a survivorship appointment?
As a cancer survivor, it is essential that you understand how to reduce your risk of recurrence, cope with emotional and physical effects, and define what is important to you as you move forward.
What can I expect at my appointment?
At your individual, comprehensive survivorship appointment, you’ll meet with an oncology nurse practitioner or physician assistant and an oncology social worker. You’ll have the chance to ask a question, share concerns, and set personal goals for a healthy future. Most appointments last about an hour.
During your appointment, you will receive:
- A personalized treatment summary and survivorship care plan
- Education regarding follow-up care
- The opportunity to talk about physical, sexual, social, emotional, and spiritual needs and concerns
- Information about nutrition, physical activity, and integrative therapies
- Overview of cancer survivorship programs and resources
Why do I need a treatment summary and care plan?
Think of your survivorship treatment summary and care plan as the roadmap of where you’ve been and where your survivorship can take you. This important document summarizes your medical treatment and history, communications your plan of care to your other physicians and your family, and provides information for future surveillance and risk.
- Contact information so you know how to obtain additional records and support
- Medication information and/or radiation dosage
- Information about possible long-term or late effects from treatment
Your Cancer Services survivorship team will be here for you every step of the way as you begin to move forward as a cancer survivor. Please contact us with any questions or concerns. Kootenai Clinic Cancer Services Nurse Navigators:
- Jodi Schmidt: 208.625.4727
- Cori Sowa: 208.625.5864
- Mary Hander: 208.625.4728