2003 Kootenai Health Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Map This Location
Referrals come from a variety of sources, including families, schools, medical professionals, private practitioners, various state agencies and self-referrals.
To make a referral, contact the case management department at (208) 765-4800 or (800) 221-5008.
Kootenai Health specializes in psychiatric and chemical dependency treatment services for individuals of all ages in north Idaho, eastern Washington, Montana and the Inland Northwest. Located in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, our Behavioral Health program is a Kootenai Health Center of Excellence.
Visit the links to the left for information on specific programs.
The goal of Behavioral Health is to build on each patient’s strengths and assist them in acquiring the skills necessary to function as a healthy member of the community.
- Acute inpatient psychiatric services for children, adolescents and adults
- Inpatient chemical dependency rehabilitation for adults
- Intensive outpatient chemical dependency services (IOP) for adolescents and adults
- Day treatment for children and adolescents
- Accredited school services (K through 12)
Upon admission, a multidisciplinary assessment is conducted. Individuals receive a psychiatric evaluation, nursing assessment, physical examination and full psychosocial evaluation. Youth also receive recreational and educational assessments. Together, these are used to develop an individualized treatment plan that targets behaviors and symptoms requiring treatment.
Treatment is a collaborative process that involves the patient, their family and treatment team. This multidisciplinary team includes:
- Board-certified child, adolescent and adult psychiatrists
- Masters-level therapists
- Certified teachers
- Recreational therapists
- Certified chemical dependency counselors
- Nursing and social service staff
Family participation in the treatment process is an essential component of the comprehensive treatment services we provide. Families frequently struggle with feelings of guilt, anger, hopelessness and despair. Their involvement in the recovery process can benefit patients and themselves.
Case managers and Kootenai Health's business services department work with individuals to make financial arrangements for care. Kootenai is a contracted provider for many insurance companies and various state agencies. Payment arrangements can be made through the business office for services not covered by insurance.
Behavioral Health follows guiding principles that support Kootenai’s philosophy of care:
- Approach patients with dignity and respect.
- Provide a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Value input from families and patients to individualize treatment.
- Utilize a multidisciplinary team approach to care.
- Support a less restrictive environment for the individual.
- Provide a thorough biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational and strength based assessment.
- Provide multi-modal treatment modalities to support the individual to reach an optimum level of functioning.
- Provide opportunities for education on symptom management.
- Support clinical research endeavors.
- Meet or exceed the standards set forth by DNV, Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services and Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
Licensing and Accreditations
- Northwest Association of School, Colleges and Universities
- Idaho State Board of Education
- Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
Kootenai Clinic Staff
Kootenai Health Affiliates