2003 Kootenai Health Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Map This Location
Referrals come from a variety of sources, including families, schools, medical professionals, private practitioners, various state agencies and self-referrals.
To make a referral, contact the case management department at (208) 625-4800 or (800) 221-5008.
Kootenai Health specializes in psychiatric and chemical dependency treatment services for individuals of all ages in north Idaho, eastern Washington, Montana and the Inland Northwest. Located in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, our Behavioral Health program is the second largest in the state of Idaho.
Visit the links to the left for information on specific programs.
The goal of Behavioral Health is to build on each patient’s strengths and assist them in acquiring the skills necessary.
- Adult Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
- Children (5-12) and Adolescent (13-17) Inpatient Psychiatric Unit (Youth Acute Unit):
- Chemical Dependency Inpatient Unit for adults
- Chemical Dependency Intensive Outpatient Program for adults
Upon admission, a interdisciplinary assessment is conducted. Individuals receive a psychiatric evaluation, nursing assessment, physical examination and full psychosocial evaluation. Youth also receive recreational and educational assessments. Together, these are used to develop an individualized treatment plan that targets behaviors and symptoms requiring treatment.
Treatment is a collaborative process that involves the patient, their family and treatment team. This interdisciplinary team includes:
- Board-certified child, adolescent and adult psychiatrists
- Masters-level therapists
Mental health specialists
- Certified chemical dependency specialists
- Case managers
- Recreational therapists
- Certified teachers
Family participation in the treatment process is an essential component of the comprehensive treatment services we provide. Their involvement in the recovery process can benefit patients and themselves.
Behavioral Health follows guiding principles that support Kootenai’s philosophy of care:
- Approach patients with dignity and respect.
- Provide a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Value input from families and patients to individualize treatment.
- Utilize a interdisciplinary team approach to care.
- Support a less restrictive environment for the individual.
- Provide a thorough biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational and strength based assessment.
- Provide multiple treatment modalities to support the individual to reach an optimum level of functioning.
- Provide opportunities for education on symptom management.
- Support clinical research endeavors.
- Meet or exceed the standards set forth by DNV, Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services and Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
Case managers and Kootenai Health's business services department work with individuals to make financial arrangements for care. Kootenai Health is a contracted provider with many insurance companies and various state agencies. Payment arrangements can be made through the business office for services not covered by insurance.
Kootenai health Staff
- Coralyn Alexander, M.D.
- Lauren Boydston, M.D.
- Leanne Elisha, NP
- William Forsyth, M.D.
- Justin Garrett, D.O.
- Charlotte Harris, NP
- Eric Heidenreich, M.D.
- Tanya Heidenreich, NP
- James Kirby, M.D.
- Eric Lavy, M.D.
- Bruce Miewald, M.D.
- Natasha Splaine, NP
Kootenai Health Affiliates