Phase 2 Expansion
Emergency Department and Surgical Services
As Kootenai Health offers more services to care for the patients and families of northern Idaho, more people are coming to our hospital for care. More space is needed to take care of our patients and to make room for improvements in our existing facility. That’s why we are expanding our emergency department and surgical services area.
We would also like to thank you for your patience and understanding during expansion projects. We are working to ensure all our patients receive the care they need during our construction.
Phase 2 Highlights
Kootenai Health has one of the busiest emergency departments in the state. Our expanded emergency department will be designed to serve 55,000 to 57,000 patients annually.
As more surgical services are made available in northern Idaho, more pre-and post-op spaces and larger operating rooms are needed to accommodate new, advanced surgical equipment.
Critical Support Services
More patients mean a greater need for support services as well. Departments such as the pharmacy, sterile processing, and central supply will also expand to meet the growing need.
- The project will add 7,000 square feet of new space to the emergency department and will increase total capacity to 36 rooms.
- The new entrance will include a new ambulance drop off area and waiting room.
- Three additional operating rooms will be added to the surgical department for a total of 11 operating suites.
- The post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) will grow from nine bays to 18 bays and pre-op/post-recovery unit will also be expanded from 9 bays to 20 rooms.
- There will be a larger, more comfortable surgical reception and waiting area with 52 additional seats.
- Total project cost is $45.2 million.
Who is the media contact?
Please contact our media line at (208) 625-5300 to schedule an interview.
About Kootenai Health
Kootenai Health has maintained Magnet status since 2006. This designation is nursing’s top honor, accepted nationally as the gold standard in nursing excellence. Additionally, Kootenai Health is part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, a national network of organizations that share a commitment to better serving patients and their families. As part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, Kootenai Health physicians have access to Mayo Clinic’s knowledge and expertise when these additional resources can be helpful. This access allows many patients to avoid unnecessary travel for answers to complex medical questions.